McNeese State University Encyclopedia

Patricia A. Threatt, Editor
Mary Jane Bloomquist, Jade Francis, Jennifer Garner, Miguele Guillory, and Jim Spears, Contributors
Last updated: November 07, 2014

The McNeese State University Encyclopedia is a compendium of narrative and descriptive essays about persons, places, events, institutions, and ideas relating to the history of the University. The Encyclopedia is planned as a cumulative and ongoing research and writing project. Contributors to the Encyclopedia gathered information from several sources. Please contact the editor with submissions, errors, or broken links.

Library Home Page | Archives Home Page | MSU Encyclopedia Index

Kaufman, Leopold.  Kaufman was a Lake Charles merchant, civic leader, philanthropist, and founder of the First National Bank.  McNeese named one of its first buildings, Kaufman Hall, in his honor.


Kent Corner Road.
 [see Ryan Street]

King, Alvin Olin (1890-1958).  King was born on June 21, 1890 in Leoti, Kansas.  King was a graduate of Lake Charles High School, Parsons Business College, and Tulane Law School.  While serving as a Lake Charles City Attorney, King helped establish McNeese as a four-year college.  King was elected to the State Senate in 1924 and was re-elected in 1928.  In 1930, King was again re-elected to the Senate and served as President Pro-Tempore.  During King's term as President Pro-Tempore of the Louisiana Senate, he succeeded to the office of Lieutenant Governor.  King became Governor when Huey P. Long resigned to take a U.S. Senate seat.  After serving as Governor, King was the President of the Louisiana State Bar Association.  King was also associated with many corporations including King Corporation, Powell Lumber Co., Weber-King Lumber Co., Farmers Land & Canal Co., Lake Charles Office Building Co., and the Farmers Rice Milling Co., to name a few.  King died January 21, 1958 in Lake Charles. Alvin King's son, Voris King, continues to contribute to McNeese.  McNeese named King Hall, a dormitory, after Alvin King.

Kirkman, William Harrison.  Dr. Kirkman was a pioneer physician of the Calcasieu area.  A native of Kirkmansville, Kentucky, Kirkman was a soldier in the Mexican War at the age of 16, after which he studied medicine in New Orleans.  Kirkman came to Lake Charles in 1858 and his practice covered the entire Calcasieu Parish area.  Kirkman was one of the first trained physicians in the area and was able to do true operations, rather than simple amputations.  Kirkman was one of the three men appointed to draft the size of the timbers and to make preliminary plans when Lake Charles considered building a new courthouse in 1872.  Kirkman served as a State Senator a few years later and was president of the first Board of Health of Lake Charles.  Kirkman's early land purchases include the sulphur mines and the Ged Oilfield.  Lake Charles named Kirkman Street in his honor and McNeese named Kirkman Hall after him.

Knapp, Seaman Asahel (1833-1911).  Knapp was born in Schroon Lake, New York in 1833.  Knapp became a teacher after graduating from Union College in 1856.  Knapp later moved to Iowa and worked as a farmer, a Methodist clergyman, and superintendent of the state school for the blind.  Knapp founded the Western State Journal and Farmer in Cedar Rapids in 1872.  Knapp was co-founder of the Iowa Improved Stock Breeders’ Association.  In 1902, Knapp was a teacher at the Iowa State Agricultural College when the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture appointed him as a special agent for the promotion of agriculture in the South.  The promotion of rice caused rice growing to become a profitable business locally and in other areas of the country.  Knapp also founded the Grange and 4-H clubs.  Knapp died in Washington D.C. in 1911.  McNeese named Knapp Memorial Fountain (in front of Gayle Hall) in his honor.

MSU Encyclopedia Index

LaBelles.  The LaBelle is the campus beauty of McNeese.  During the late 1940s, the Student Government asked various celebrities to pick the McNeese "Beauty." The Student Government would send the celebrity photographs of the candidates to choose from. The yearbook staff sponsored the Miss McNeese Pageant, an evening gown competition with a panel of judges from the community.  In the early 1950s, the yearbook staff changed the name of the competition to "LaBelle."  Eventually, the Student Government Association took over the responsibility of selecting LaBelle.  In the spring of 1975, the SGA moved to affiliate LaBelle with the Miss Louisiana/Miss America Pageant system.  After the 1997 pageant, SGA dropped the event from campus due to discriminatory concerns and better utilization of funds. The title of "Miss McNeese LaBelle" became known as the "Spring Court Queen." The former LaBelles:

1948 Theresa Vidrine 1965 Jill Methvin 1982 Vanessa Benham Buller
1949 Sylvia Delord 1966 Laura Faye Daigle 1983 Phyllis Porter Turner
1950 Patricia Clay 1967 Sheryl LeBleu 1984 Jacquelyn Ewing Morris
1951 Leumel Dore 1968 Laura Faye Daigle 1985 Vickie Myers Wicks
1952 Jackie Hoffpauir 1969 Sarah Beth Head 1986 Sherry Guidry
1953 Donna Merchant 1970 Willie Landry 1987 Carol Hebert Womack
1954 Annette Landry 1971 Cindi Dyer 1988 Kelley Lovett Bryant
1955 Frances Thomson 1972 Theresa Walker 1989 Stacy Smith Dellafosse
1956 Sara Newman 1973 Janie Stine 1990 Lisa Holk
1957 Rebecca Ashburn 1974 Marcie Miller 1991 Rebecca LaPointe Poor
1958 Peggy Addison 1975 Diane Cambell Etheridge 1992 Paige Harkins Caldwell
1959 Frances Domingues 1976 Nanette Knight Dodd 1993 Yolanda Coleman
1960 Kathy Gordy 1977 Amy Rentrop Chaffin 1994 Mira Fuller
1961 Suzanne Fuller 1978 [unknown] 1995 Nikki Upchurch
1962 Mary Ashburn 1979 Lisa Midkiff Kretzchmar 1996 Madeline DeHart
1963 Abi Heasley 1980 Maureen Farrar Armentor 1997 Samantha Broussard
1964 Nannette Benoit 1981 Laura Calloway Allured    

Lake Charles Junior College [see also Name changes].  The first name of McNeese State University. The school was created as a result of cooperation between the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury, the Southwest Louisiana Cattlemen’s Association, and the federal government through the Public Works Administration and the Works Progress Administration. Louisiana House Bill No. 313 established "a Junior College division of the Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College to be located in the Parish of Calcasieu near Lake Charles, Louisiana." Governor Richard Leche signed Act No. 267 creating Lake Charles Junior College on July 6, 1938. To satisfy each of the entities involved in founding the school, LSU built three buildings to start the campus. Kaufman Hall housed classrooms and administration offices, the Arena (now called Ward Memorial Arena) hosted rodeo events, and the Auditorium (now called Bulber Auditorium) provided performance space. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury donated 86 acres of land for the campus, an area located on an extension of Ryan Street that was previously the parish's Poor Farm - home to local indigents and the mentally ill. The opening session of the college began on September 11, 1939 with 140 students and 13 faculty members. Student fees were $12.50 per semester. Newspaper clippings regarding building dedications:

American Press A [January 18, 1940]
American Press B [January 18, 1940]
Contraband A  [February 23, 1940]
Contraband B  [March 15, 1940]
American Press C [March 29, 1940]
Contraband
C [April 19, 1940]

Lang, Colonel Larry H. A native of El Paso, Texas, Lang began his career in music as a trombonist, attending New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, where he earned his Bachelor of Music Education and Bachelor of Performance degrees in 1980. He went on to complete a Master of Science degree in Music Education at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, where he was the student Director of the Marching Band and Jazz Ensemble II. In 1982, he accepted a faculty appointment at UNH.

In 1983, Lang accepted the position of Assistant Director of Bands at McNeese where he directed the Symphonic Band, the 200-member "Cowboy" Marching Band, Jazz Ensemble II, and the McNeese Summer Music and Fine Arts Program.

In 1990, Lang entered the United States Air Force. On March 8, 2012, he was named the Director and Commander of the United States Air Force Band in Washington DC, the highest position a musician can hold in the Ari Force. Lang is a member of the American Bandmasters Association, the National Band Association, the College Band Directors National Association, and is active as a guest conductor and clinician throughout the United States. Colonel Lang's military decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, and the Air Force Commendation Medal. He was named the Air Force's Outstanding Band Officer in 1998 and 2003.

Leary, Thomas Samuel.  Leary was the third president of McNeese.  Leary was born May 8, 1915 in Rochester, New York.  Leary received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and a master's degree in organic chemistry from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.  Leary received a doctorate in chemical engineering from Iowa State University.  Leary started his career at McNeese in 1961 as a professor of engineering.  Leary became the Head of Department of Engineering in the 1965-66 academic year.  Leary was also responsible for the design and layout of the laboratories at Chennault. 

Leche, Richard. (1898-1965). Leche was the Governor of Louisiana who signed the bill to establish Lake Charles Junior College. The bill was signed on July 6, 1938.

Lee, Wallace. Lee was a long-time supervisor of buildings and grounds at McNeese. He started out as an assistant to Robert Alexander.  He was appointed campus custodian by Dean Joseph Farrar in September 1939.  One of his first duties included “cattle-chasing,” where he, mounted on a tractor, would dissuade the cattle who freely roamed the campus from “going to college.”

Library.  [see Frazar, Lether E.]

Lester, Darrell. Lester was born in Lake Charles in 1941 and died in Lafayette in 2006. Lester is a member of the McNeese Hall of Fame and was named McNeese's Most Valuable Player in 1962 and in 1963. He played both fullback and linebacker. After graduating from McNeese, Lester played professionally with the Minnesota Vikings.

Library Directors

1939-1941

George Johnson

1941-1942

George F. Bentley

1943-1946

Dorothy Steidtman

1948-1953

Edna Mae T. Pellegrin

1953-1957

Bob Lee Mowery

1957-1967

Sam Marino

1967-1972

Clifford M. Byrne

1972 -1980

Ruth Reedy

1980-1989

Richard Reid

1989-2009

Nancy Khoury

2010-present Debbie Johnson-Houston

Log. The Log is the McNeese State University student yearbook first published in the Spring of 1940. The students discontinued the publication in the Spring of 1941 due to World War II. Publication resumed in the Spring of 1945. Log Editors:

1939-1940 Burnell Pinder   1967-1969 David Spell 1991-1992 Angela Jones 
1940-1941 Martha Caldwell 1969-1970 Cathy Abelson  1992-1993 Angela Jones
1944-1945 Eva Cox 1970-1971 Malcolm Landry 1993-1994 Ganey Arsement 
1945-1946 W. J. Frusha and Betty Shea 1971-1972 David Cook 1994-1995 Stacey Fuselier
1946-1947 Fred R. Moore 1972-1973 Donna Guidry Little 1995-1996 Carrie Smith
1947-1948 C. C. Faust III  1974-1975 Rick Bailey 1996-1997 Jay Prejean
1948-1949 Betty Bruce 1975-1976 Mary Stewart New 1997-1998 Heather Haymon
1949-1950 Gilbert Manuel 1976-1978 Bryan Kidder 1998-1999 Suzanne Bayard
1950-1951 Joel Kelly 1978-1979 Donna M. Vincent 1999-2000 Shannon Elayne Gillard
1951-1952 Dorothy Akins  1979-1980 Angelle B. Rion 2000-2001 Stacey Elza
1952-1955 Dwayne Milner 1980-1981 Pam Cotham    2001-2002 Kathy Doss
1955-1956 Lary W. Padgett 1981-1982 Carl W. Smith 2002-2003 Johnny Jarrell
1956-1957 Clarence Monismith and J. B. Smith Jr. 1982-1983 Sandra Kelley   2003-2004 Rohan Ferguson
1957-1959 J. B. Smith II 1983-1984 Becky McMillin 2004-2005 Melissa Walker
1959-1960 George Mitchell 1984-1985 Rickie Rozas    2005-2006 Clark Bachelot
1960-1961 George W. Hurlbut 1985-1986 Mike Duhon 2006-2009 Kasha Ashworth
1961-1962 Glenn Vincent   1986-1987 Wilber Abshire 2009-2010 Crystal Rollins
1962-1963 Howard Melton 1987-1988 Lauron Sonnier 2010-2011 Jesse Davis
1963-1964 Carl H. McPherson 1988-1989 Pam Spees 2011-2012 Candice Bryant
1964-1966 Michael W. Neely 1989-1990 Angela Brittain 2012-2013

 Jesse Davis

1966-1967 Kaye Smith 1990-1991 Angela Brittain  2013-2014

Logo.  In 1997, the University of Wyoming disputed McNeese's use of the "Bucking Horse and Rider" logo.  McNeese had used some form of the logo since the early 1940s.  In 2001, McNeese debuted a new logo featuring a bucking horse and rider with its front legs up with a large yellow "M" superimposed.

Louisiana Maneuvers. John McNeese Junior College was engaged in military activity during the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941 when Lieutenant General Walter Krueger, who led the Sixth Army from New Guinea to Luzon, made the Auditorium his headquarters in preparation for war until it was discovered by the enemy. A temporary airstrip was marked off near the auditorium where intense activity took place and McNeese students witnessed army life for two weeks. A well-known participant of these maneuvers was Dwight D. Eisenhower who visited the campus and the Majestic Hotel in downtown Lake Charles.

Love, Kelly.  Love was the Director of the McNeese Band from 1968 to1973.  He was also known as "Brother Love" and he called the McNeese Band "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show." Love studied the trombone with Frank Chrisafulli, Sr. and Tommy Shephard in Chicago.  He received his bachelor's and master's degree in Music from the University of Mississippi.  Love served as instructor of marching band courses at Vandercook School of Music in Chicago.

Lowery, Geraldine. During Lowery’s sophomore year at John McNeese Junior College, she enrolled in an airplane pilot training course. She was one of the only two women to do so. She completed the course by making her first solo flight from Lake Charles to Lafayette.

MSU Encyclopedia Index

Mascot.  The first mascot of McNeese was a palomino pony named "Mac" secured for the student body by the "Rally Ranglers". After Mac's demise, several other ponies took his place.  The basketball team chose the cowboy as the mascot in the mid 1940s due to the popularity of rodeos and that the McNeese campus was formerly a farm. In 1981, McNeese introduced its first “live” cowboy mascot.  Jeniffer Siebarth was introduced as “Cowboy” at the season home opener. In 1982, "Rowdy" was born.  The Rowdy costume consists of an over-sized, full-length cowboy with a large hat and exaggerated features.  The costume includes an ice-pack vest and fan in the top of the hat for ventilation. Rowdy was named after Clint Eastwood's character on the "Rawhide" television show.  According to legend, Rowdy was on a cattle drive out west when he stopped in Lake Charles and decided to stay. Rowdy likes to do back-flips, crowd-surf, an ride his trusty ice chest down the hill into the hole at football games.       

McCann, John. McCann was the head football coach from 1983 to 1986.    

McNeese Ambassadors [see Ambassadors]

McNeese Auxiliary Corps (MACs). In the fall of 1942, Dean Cline helped the women students organize a program that  would involve them in the war activities and help meet the needs of the nation. Under the supervision of Major Sanford Brown, commander of the ROTC, and Professor Dolive Benoit, this program included the organization of a drill squad and special classes designed to give basic training for war jobs. The "MACS" was the official name given to the group in December, 1942 which originally represented Military training, Academic training, Cultural training, and Scientific training. The program also included participation in various school projects and community services.

McNeese, John (1843-1914).  John McNeese was born on July 4, 1843, in New York City, N.Y., to Scottish immigrant parents. His parents died of tuberculosis leaving young John an orphan at age 9. The most reliable sources say that he went to live with Dr. Nathaniel Stafford of Baltimore, Md., a foster father who placed a strong emphasis on education. At some point prior to the Civil War, Dr. Stafford sent John to live with Richard H. and Mary Ellen Wright of Bloomery, Md., a rural community in Caroline County on the Eastern Shore. Mary Ellen was Dr. Nathaniel Stafford’s granddaughter. McNeese joined the Union Army in 1861 at age 18. He was a member of the Maryland Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War where he fought in the battle of Gettysburg. Suffering from a case of tuberculosis, John moved to Texas in pursuit of a drier climate. He settled in Menard County and became successful at grazing cattle and operating a mercantile business.  He served as the district and county clerk from 1871 to 1873. Unfortunately, the Great Panic of 1873 brought financial ruin to McNeese and many others. In 1873, McNeese and five other cattlemen set out on a cattle drive to New Orleans via the Old Spanish Trail. The group made it to the Sabine River but the cattle were starving to death due to drought conditions. McNeese decided to cut his losses by selling his cattle and settling in Imperial Calcasieu (including Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, and Jefferson Davis parishes). McNeese boarded at the home of William Bilbo, an early settler in the present Oberlin area. He married Bilbo’s daughter, Susan, on his 33rd birthday and they had nine children, two of whom died in infancy. McNeese supported himself as a “professor” of penmanship and music. Later he attended Tulane University and received a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1887. He practiced law briefly, but his passion was education. McNeese became the first parish superintendent of Imperial Calcasieu, serving in this capacity from 1888 until his retirement in 1913. He was probably the first parish superintendent to devote his entire time to the work of his office, the first to attempt the transportation of children to consolidated schools, the first to attempt classroom supervision among rural schools, and the first to support the right of citizens of a local community to vote upon themselves taxes for the support of public schools. John McNeese died in 1914 at the age of 70, less than one year after his retirement. Lake Charles Junior College, founded in 1939, was renamed John McNeese Junior College in 1940 to honor the pioneer Southwest Louisiana educator. The name was changed in 1950 to McNeese State College and finally renamed McNeese State University in 1970. Consideration in the mid-1990s to change the name of McNeese State University to the University of Louisiana at Lake Charles never gained much momentum. McNeese State University is the only Louisiana state school named after an educator.  [Excerpts from A Chronicle, McNeese State University 1939-1987, by Joe Gray Taylor, and The Life and Services to Public Education of John McNeese by Theodore John Ratliff.]

John McNeese Junior College [see Name changes].

McNeese, Miss and Ms. McNeese [see LaBelles and Spring Court].

McNeese, Mr. The SGA established the Mr. McNeese title during the 1981-1982 school year. The title is in recognition of an outstanding male student and is announced with the recognition of an outstanding female student crowned as Ms. McNeese, both representative of Spring Court.

1982

Jay Glynn

1998

Craig Morton

1983

Bill Hathaway

1999

Damian Hines-Franklin

1984

Cleve Brown

2000

Charles Lemons

1985

Joe Dumars

2001

Jared Manuel

1986

Chris Doucet

2002

Andy Bates

1987

Brent Meaux

2003

Benjamin Franklin

1988

Toronto Spikes

2004

Patrick Virgadamo

1989

Scott Riviere

2005

John Regan

1990

Dwone Sanders

2006

Kevin Moreau

1991

Chris Brown 2007 John Hunt

1992

Brian Vidrine 2008 Justin Daigle

1993

Sean Judge 2009  

1994

Andy Richard 2010 Jonathan Rutherford

1995

Andy Benoit 2011 Deil LaLande

1996

Marlon Guillory 2012 Austin Bourgeois

1997

Steven Beard 2013 Jon C. Wall, Jr.

McNeese Observatory. The Observatory stands on the Southeast corner of the Burton Coliseum Complex. Dr. Michael Connella, a McNeese astronomer, secured funding for the building in the mid 1970s. The Observatory is not currently operational and is in need of repairs.

The McNeese Review.  The McNeese Review, published since 1948, serves as a forum for articles and essays in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Editorial policy and reviewing processes of The McNeese Review are formulated and supervised by an editorial board comprised of faculty in the College of Liberal Arts at McNeese State University. The editorial board of The McNeese Review welcomes submissions that exhibit high academic standards and the potential to interest educated readers regardless of their academic specialty. The McNeese Review is funded by the McNeese State University Foundation through an endowment established by Mr. and Mrs. William D. Blake, Mrs. Violet Howell, and Howell Industries, Inc. Submission and subscription information is available from the editor.

McNeese State College [see also Name changes]. Senate Bill No. 3 changed the name of John McNeese Junior College to McNeese State College and transferred control from the LSU Board of Supervisors to the Louisiana Board of Education. Governor Earl K. Long signed Act No. 69 on June 30, 1950 that approved the changes.

McNeese State University [see also Name changes]. Senate Bill No. 123 changed the name of McNeese State College to McNeese State University. Governor John J. McKeithen signed Act No. 138 on June 25, 1970 to officially change the name.

Messiah [see Handel's Messiah]

Middleton, Troy H. Substituting for President Smith of Louisiana State University, Middleton turned over a shovel of dirt at the ceremonial ground-breaking to signal the beginning of construction of Lake Charles Junior College.
 

MSU Encyclopedia Index

Name changes.  McNeese names through the years:

Lake Charles Junior College   July 6, 1938 - Fall 1940
John McNeese Junior College Fall 1940 - July 17, 1950
McNeese State College July 17, 1950 - June 25, 1970
McNeese State University June 25, 1970 - Present

Nash, W.B. The first registrar of Lake Charles Junior College. Before serving at the college, he was principal of Central School in Lake Charles.

 

Nunez, Harry. The first student military fatality, Ensign Harry Amos Nunez was killed on January 19, 1943 when his plane crashed in the Atlantic Ocean near Jekyll Island, Georgia. As a former student of McNeese, Nunez was a member of the football team, 4-H club, and drew sketches for the Contraband and the French Club paper. He majored in agriculture and was the only student from Cameron Parish. After two years at McNeese he attended S.L.I. Ensign Nunez was commissioned at Corpus Christi, Texas. Since Christmas Day of 1942, he had been stationed at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

MSU Encyclopedia Index

Oakley, William John. Oakley, a chemistry teacher, was part of the original faculty to begin at Lake Charles Junior College in 1939. He received the Alumni President’s Cup in 1970. After teaching chemistry, he went on to work as a purchasing agent and a property control officer. He retired from McNeese in 1973.
Oakley received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Louisiana State University.  Before coming to McNeese, he was a graduate assistant at Louisiana State University.

MSU Encyclopedia Index

Parra, Leland.   Parra dedicated his efforts, despite great health problems, to the growth of the University.  McNeese named the Parra Ballroom (located in Holbrook Student Union) after him.  Parra was a native of Grand Chenier and moved to Lake Charles with his family in 1944.  He attended Central Elementary School, Lake Charles High School, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in business administration from McNeese in 1955.  He was President of the Young Men’s Business Club (YMBC), the Independent Agents of Calcasieu Parish, and the Calcasieu Insurance Exchange.  He also served as Treasurer of the Southwest Louisiana Health Service Agency.  He served as President of the McNeese Foundation and of the Cowboy Club as well as the McNeese Alumni Association.  He died on August 31, 1977 from kidney ailments.

Phalanx Fraternity. The Lake Charles Chapter of the national Y.M.C.A. fraternity, Phalanx, was originally chartered in 1941, but because of military service it became dispersed. The club was reorganized in September, 1945 and were active in getting a Student Center for McNeese. Pictured in the 1945 Log were ten members and the list of officers including Jodie White, Primus. Phalanx was formed to encourage high standards of Christian men and provide service to the community.

Pokes [see Cowboys].

Poor Farm Road [see Ryan Street].

Pre-history of McNeese [see Lake Charles Junior College].

Presidents [see also Deans].  From 1939 to 1950, the Dean was McNeese's highest ranking official.  After 1950, the President presided over the university. Presidents of McNeese:

Lether Frazar August 15, 1950 - October 15, 1955
Wayne Cusic October 15, 1955 - October 15, 1969
Thomas Leary October 15, 1969 - July 1, 1980
Jack Doland July 1, 1980 - February 1, 1987
Robert D. Hebert February 1, 1987 - June 30, 2010
Philip C. Williams July 1, 2010 -

MSU Encyclopedia Index

Ratcliff, Albert I. Ratcliff became the football coach at McNeese Junior College in 1946. He also coached the boxing team. During his term as football coach, the team gained admission to the Gulf States Conference and participated in four bowl games. He was promoted to Athletic Director in 1954. He won the Alumni President’s Cup in 1958. Ratcliff retired from McNeese in 1973. In 1981, he was inducted into the McNeese Sports Hall of Fame.

Reid, Richard. Reid is the Executive Vice President of the McNeese Foundation. He served as Library Director from 1980 to 1989.

 

 

Ring. The Official McNeese State University Ring is a proud and visible symbol of the connection that students feel toward their alma mater and embodies the McNeese experience. The symbols on the ring are the University seal, Bulber Auditorium, oak leaves, acorns, and a royal blue stone with “MSU” displayed on the top. While anticipating the earning of a degree, the ring is placed so that MSU on the top of the ring faces the student as a reminder of their goals. During the commencement ceremony, students participating in the Official MSU Ring Program will have the opportunity to turn the ring so that MSU faces outward informing the world of their academic accomplishment.

ROTC. The first official Reserve Officers Training Corps unit at McNeese began in the fall semester of 1942. Male students who participated in this were given military training both physically and in the classroom.  Former ROTC Commanders:

1941-1942 Glenn Allgood (informal drill company) Spring 1960 Bobby Wayne Smith 1978-1979 Leslie G. Martin
1942-1943 George Kenneth Barrett Fall 1960

Peter Crawford

1979-1980

Patrick A. Stallings

1943-1944

H. P. Hebert

Spring 1961

Norman Beadle

1980-1981

Gary Lee Floyd

1944 - Fall 1945

Patrick L. Ford

1961-1962

Reginald Fontenot

1981-1982

Glenda Guillory

Spring 1946

Dudley Doiron

1962-1963

Donald C. Cornett

1982-1983

Gerald Thacker

1946-1947

Seaman Mayo

1963-1964

Perry B. Dennis III

1983-1984

Paul J. Gautreaux

1947-1948

M. William Talbot

1964-1965

Robert Landry

1984-1985

Melton Dwayne O’Brien

1948-1949

Percy Clark     

1965-1966

Charles R. Davis

1985-1986

Mark Stephen Hanchey

Fall 1949

Ernest Schindler

1966-1967

Timothy A. DeRouen   

1986-1987

Martin G. DeRouen

Spring 1950

Gilbert Manuel

1967-1968

William Mitchell

1987-1988

David C. Berg 

1950-1951

Allen Commander

1968-1969

James Fruge

1988-1989

Stephen L. Hardy

1951-1952

Donald L. Williams      

1969-1970

Donald Rivers  

1989-1990

 Kendrick Guidry

1952-1953

William Clarke

1970-1971

Howard Duhon

1990-1991

Carlene Spence

1953-1954

Nelson Thomas

1971-1972

Thomas A. Glatt

1991-1992

Anthony J. Polk

Fall 1954

William Campbell

1972-1973

Carl J. David

1992-1993

Pete Tuebner

Spring 1955

Charles Thomason

1973-1974

Joe Gray Taylor, Jr.     

1993-1994

Michael Kennedy

1955-1956

Larry Guillory  

1974-1975

Stephen Paul Peterson 

1994-1995

Paul Howell

1956-1957

Kenneth Jackson

1975-1976

Charles S. New

1995-1996

Michael McBride

Fall 1957

Charles Borel

Fall 1976

Jane Christy

1996-1997

Ron D. Robichaux

Spring 1958

Larry DeRouen

Spring 1977

Phillip Conway

   
1958-1959

Nathan J. Myers

Fall 1977

Chirley McLaurin

   
Fall 1959

Leonard Chisholm

Spring 1978

Darrell D. Miller

   

Roundup, The (newsletter). [See Alumni]

Rowdy.  See Mascots.
 



Ryan Street. McNeese is located on the southern part of Ryan Street once known as Poor Farm Road, Kent Corner Road, and Big Lake Road. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury owned an 86-acre tract of land in this area that was the Parish Poor Farm during the Depression. Since there was no longer a need for a poor farm in 1938, the Police Jury gave this land for a junior college.

Library Home Page | Archives Home Page | MSU Encyclopedia Index


Copyright 2005-2014 McNeese State University