McNeese State University Virtual Tour

Bulber Auditorium

Bulber Auditorium hosts musical and theater events for both McNeese and the Lake Charles area. This includes some of the Banners series programs, high school and middle school honor bands and choirs, the McNeese band and choir, and the annual performance of Handelís Messiah. Construction began on the Auditorium in 1939 and on January 18, 1940, McNeese laid the cornerstones for the Arena and the Auditorium and dedicated the buildings. The Auditorium officially opened on March 29, 1940 along with the other two buildings on campus, the Arena and the Administration Building (now Kaufman Hall). That evening, the LSU Players presented Thornton Wilder's "Our Town," the Auditorium's first performance.

Although the Auditorium was first called the Lake Charles Junior College Auditorium, then the McNeese Auditorium, it was renamed in 1992 for Francis Bulber, a prominent long-time member of the McNeese music faculty. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1989. In 2005, Hurricane Rita caused extensive damage to the roof and interior. McNeese officially re-opened Bulber on March 29, 2008. The Auditorium faces Ryan Street and sits between Lawton Drive and Calcasieu Drive.

Back to the Ranch

Library Home Page | Archives Home Page | MSU Encyclopedia | MSU Virtual Tour



Copyright 2006-2008 McNeese State University