McNeese State University Virtual Tour

Recreation Center

In 1939, the complex started as an arena for livestock shows and rodeos. Over 10 years later, a roof was added and it housed basketball games, tennis matches, and physical education classes. The Intramural Recreation Complex officially opened in 1982. The arena was renamed in 1990 to the Ralph O. Ward Memorial Arena in honor of the former basketball coach. The newest addition was constructed in 2001 and financed through McNeese State University student fees. It now completes the entire complex. Today, the McNeese Recreation Complex consists of various activity areas including space for basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and aerobics. The complex also offers an Olympic size indoor/outdoor swimming pool, a 200 meter indoor track, eight outdoor tennis courts, intramural playing fields, a fully equipped wellness center, and shower/locker rooms for both men and women. It also houses the Department of Health & Human Performance and administration offices. The Recreation Center welcomes students, alumni, and guests year-round.

Back to the Ranch

Library Home Page | Archives Home Page | MSU Encyclopedia | MSU Virtual Tour


Copyright 2006 McNeese State University